Help for Prisoners in Nigeria
New Leaf Foundation (NLF) is a non-governmental organization (NGO) with offices in the United States and Nigeria. We work tirelessly to improve the state of Nigeria’s prisons. Our goal is to initiate and support system reforms so that prisoners are re-integrated into society as better citizens and useful contributors to the work force. To accomplish this, we must change the way prisons are currently run in Nigeria. We encourage prison management to bring humanity into the prison system. We provide instruction to teach prisoners skills to prepare them for jobs when they are released. Under our auspices, training programs are incorporated into the prison system that help prisoners become self-reliant, improve their self-esteem, and make them more likely to survive successfully when re-integrated into their respective communities upon release.
Why We Need to Help Nigerian Inmates
- Nigerian prison conditions are deplorable, with conditions often analogous to death traps.
- Thousands of inmates are unjustly incarcerated and have no recourse.
- Cases can take years to go to trial.
- Many inmates lose hope and succumb to death in prison.
- Many former inmates suffer trauma and do not have the skill sets to find work in their communities.
- Re-integration into communities is challenging, if not impossible.